Pages

Wednesday 12 November 2014

Life Drawing 11.11.14

Pen, continuous line

After a few minor hiccups at the start of the session last night ended up being really good. I very much enjoyed my drawing and it was great to have a couple of new faces come and join us. It's very interesting how the dynamic changes when there are more people, there seems to be more energy in the room.

Mixed studies

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Our model for the evening gave us some excellent poses and I very much enjoyed making multiple drawings of each pose. I am very lucky with my models, I can just give basic (and sometimes somewhat random) instructions and they are able to come up with really interesting poses. Once again I stuck to just working in pen but I did try and vary the way I worked in other ways.

Pen, continuous line. 'Blind' drawing

Pen, continuous line. 'Blind' drawing

I did quite a bit of 'blind' drawing, where I draw without looking at the page. These drawings are very quick and involve very little thought, the results I find quite interesting as although they are rarely, if ever, accurate they do tend to give the feel of the pose and I like trying to pick out later which bit is which!

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line
Pen, continuous line

I also looked at working very quickly with simple, single lines to describe either the whole pose or part of the pose. As with the blind drawings they lack accuracy but they do give a feel of the pose. I like the challenge of drawing something solid with just simple lines, using those lines to describe areas of shadow as well as shape to give form to the drawing. I did a couple of drawings where I used these simple lines but experimented with exaggerating the poses slightly, for example working in big loopy curves to accentuate the shapes in the pose.

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

In contrast to these very quick drawings I also tried doing a couple of drawings where I continued to work with simple, continuous line but in a much slower and more deliberate style. In these drawings I tried to capture the pose a bit more accurately whilst retaining the fluidity of my drawing style. I'm really pleased with how these have turned out, I like the sparseness of them.

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

As regular readers will know I love drawing hands and feet but I really struggle with faces so tonight, as I was feeling quite positive and up for a challenge, I had a go at including the face in a couple of my drawings. The results are a bit mixed but I think there's potential there, so long as my models don't mind looking a bit rugged!

No comments:

Post a Comment