Pages

Sunday 21 December 2014

Life Drawing 9.12.14

Pen, continuous line

My last Life Drawing session of the year and the end of the first set of sessions in a new venue. Moving to the Prism Arts Studios has been a very positive step, it's a great space and is more accessible as it is in the centre of town. It is interesting how the venue affects the session as almost everyone has commented on how much more inspiring the space is and how much they like it, which is great and really helps foster a good environment and atmosphere for the sessions. The models also prefer the space and it is certainly much nicer for them to have a more private space to be able to change in.

Pen, continuous line

Red pen, continuous line

Despite the weather being horrible (strong winds and rain) there was still a good group of us and our model, Jude, gave us some excellent poses. I found it a bit of a frustrating session as I struggled to find my drawing mojo, it was especially frustrating as I really loved the poses but couldn't produce the results I wanted! The combination of a bad week (I know it was only Tuesday but believe me it had been a very bad week until that point) and not having been keeping up with my daily drawing meant that I was quite tense and found it hard to just let my lines flow. I did loosen up as the session progressed and I did do some drawings I'm quite pleased with. It has also got me back into my daily drawing so silver linings and all that!

Red pen, continuous line

Permanent marker, continuous line

Reclining, permanent marker
As usual I worked in pen and mostly continuous line, switching from my favoured uni-ball eye pens to a permanent marker when I got too frustrated with my out of practice/stressed drawings! I did quite a lot of feet this session, some more successfully than others, as I couldn't seem to get hands right at all.

Pen, continuous line

One thing I really like about going back through my drawings to photograph them after a session is the 'accidental' drawings. As I frequently do more than one sketch on a piece of paper I sometimes find these funny compositions, like the picture above where there appears to be a hand resting on the models back. It is actually two separate drawings but they've merged together to make a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment